Tuesday 2 July 2013

SLATED - TERI TERRY - REVIEW

Book: Slated
Author: Teri Terry
Publisher: Hodder Children's
ISBN: 9781408319468
Rating: A

Kyla's memory has been erased, her personality wiped blank, her memories lost for ever. She's been Slated. The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla's mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?
This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for just over a year and with a little gap with nothing that had to be read by a deadline I thought I'd pick up Slated. Recently I'm really feeling the dystopian vibe and this just seemed really fitting. Also I heard nothing but good about this and it was just something I knew I was going to enjoy.

The story follows Kyla, a girl in a future world in which young criminals are 'Slated' This means their minds are wiped and they get a fresh start. However Kyle is pretty different, she starts having memories come back to her and she starts to discover who she was. So there's actually a lot more packed into this book but I don't want to give anything away. One thing I love about this book, well actually something I love when any book does it, is that this idea was so unique and hasn't been done in any way before. Sure it's dystopian, but that's just a genre. the overall idea is so brilliant and so well crafted you are gripped for page one. As well as a pounding story it has a good solid backstory and all the science and theories behind make sense and this gives it the realism that makes the book work for me. I feel like Terry has explained this in such a way it seems as thought it could almost happen and the overall storyline and plot is amazing.

The story is set int the future, which always provides for an interesting backdrop but setting was full of surprises. Firstly it was set in England which was a lovely bonus and secondly the future world wasn't actually too different from our current one. I really loved the way that Terry played on the role of terrorism and economical parts of out current society and weaved into this brilliant novel. It definitely left me both satisfied and hungry for more.

The writing was good but nothing about it stood out. I really did like it, I just don't feel like Terry has a distinctive style that would pinpoint her out. The words flowed well and the scenes built us well in my mind but I definitely felt the advantage and bast part of this novel was the idea and story, however the writing did what it was meant to do and I did still enjoy reading it.

The characters. The characters were all really strong and what struck me about Kyla is that whilst she was strong and a good protagonist she still had this kind of weakness and innocence about her witch really brought her humanness, which was nice to see. In fact I loved Terry's character building because I felt like all of her characters balanced each other out with personalties and a few even had hidden agendas/ surprises. I liked how all the couples were almost opposites and yet fitted so well together and Kyla and Ben were just perfect. A characters I feel I still don't much about (and that I feel there is a lot to know about) is Kyla's Dad. With his shed and secrets I want to know what he's really up to.

Overall, yes I loved this. It's that perfect unique dystopian you need to quench your thirst; filled with action, suspense and cliffhangers I'm ready for Fractured. It has a unique story and it ended on such a massive cliffhanger I genuinely think I'm going to enjoy this series which is nice because most series's I follow are drawing to end now so this will be on my list of fresh new series's to start. A killer novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment