Monday 8 August 2011

SHIMMER - ALYSON NOEL - REVIEW

Book: Shimmer
Author: Alyson Noel
Publisher: PanMacmillan
ISBN: 9780330530385
Rating: B+


"Having solved the matter of the Radiant Boy, Riley, Buttercup, and Bodhi are enjoying a little time-off. But then Riley encounters a young ghost named Rebecca. Despite Rebecca's sweet appearance, Riley soon learns she's not at all what she seems. As the daughter of a former plantation owner, Rebecca is furious about being murdered during the slave revolt of 1733. Her uncontrollable anger is keeping other ghosts, who also died in the revolt, trapped in a shimmering bubble. And when Bodhi and Buttercup inadvertently fall into Rebecca's trap, Riley is the only one who can save them. This is a suspenseful and heart-warming novel about the great hereafter..."


I remember the first in this series very well, and I enjoyed the first in the series a lot. Now, first books, in most cases, are generally the best, and the following are not as good, but I can tell you for a fact, this Book is even better than Radiance, and that's saying something. 

The books picks up with Bodhi and Riley on Vacation, like they said they would be at the end of Radiance. The beginning is actually exactly how a book should be started, fast and instantly grips you. I enjoyed this all the more though, because I recently read the final Installment to the Immortals series, so I was very much in the Immortals mood, and ready to read this, when it popped through my letterbox. 

The books follows Riley as she sees a bad omen and follows it, only to reveal that her friends are soon sucked into a bubble of evil created by a angry spirit who refuses to cross the bridge. And then it's basically an amazing story, that you have to read if you want to know what happens, Evil becomes, good, forgiveness and the rest and the Riley and Bodhi have to face the council, something's about to happen, CLIFFHANGER, end of book... I most definitely want Dreamland now. 

The book has one of my favorite styles of writing. Whimsical, beautiful and descriptive, and I know i've said this before but I really do love Alyson Noel's style of writing. It just pulls you in straight away. 

The story-line was surprising! You see a 200 page book and think it would be relatively short, but this story had so much packed into it. It was an amazing adventure filled with emotion, empathy, and magick. It was all easy to understand and no complicated twists, and very good for the market it has been aimed at. 

My favorite character would most definitely have to be Rebbeca. She was most definitely the awsomeist character and she used the most magic so I naturally favored her. 

Overall I really did like this and boy I can't wait for dreamland but yes, you should read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment