Wednesday 17 November 2010

Desperate Measures - Laura Summers - Review

Book: Desperate Measures
Author: Laura Summers
Publisher: Piccadilly Press
ISBN: 9781848120501
Rating: B+


Vicky and Rhianna are twins but they couldn’t be more different. For their fourteenth birthday, Vicky wants a card from the hottest boy in school. Rhianna, brain-damaged at birth, wants a Furby. Instead they get a nasty shock – their foster parents can’t cope and it looks as if Vicky and Rhianna and their younger brother Jamie will have to be split up. How can they stay together? Desperate times call for desperate measures… Exciting, fast-moving and deeply affecting, this innovative story is Laura Summers’ first novel.


This book was very different from my usual reading list, and i was actually drawn in by the cover. Not by the blurb or whatnot. Anyway, i am so glad that i read this. It will stay with me forever because it is amazing. It goes over the main aspect of life situation that quite often children are put in.


I found it very touching, especially the fact that Re is brain damaged. But i also loved the adventure which was fantastic. The story was well written and the plot is good to read, but not original.


"A touching story, of brotherly love, and desperate measures!"


I read this a couple of weeks ago, as the review was hard to write. I suppose recently i have had a lack words in my head. I'm even having trouble with my novel, but Summers clearly doesn't have any problems because the book was a touching story of brotherly love and desperate measures! I like the perspective of the two sisters and would have loved maybe some chapters from jamies view but hey. I think Summers has done a fantastic job on Re as it must be hard to write as a brain damaged girl.


I think this book is also made to bring awareness to disability and i hope many will read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment